Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Year Today - It Must Be My Virtual Birthday!

Hip hip hooray! A year since my first posting. Wow. I don't know where the last year has gone. I believe it's true to say that time goes faster the older you get. I'll have to start cramming more into the little time I have left. We have 4 holidays planned for this year, one in 2 weeks and another booked for May. The other two are booked as annual leave but plans haven't been finalised. We are going to visit my mum and her husband overseas so that will be nice. The May hol is to Majorca with 3 other couples - we'll let the jury decide that one and the others - well we just don't know. Perhaps Cornwall might be nice. I was there last in 1974 so expect a few changes if we go. We have a friend who has a farmhouse near Bergerac in France but its a little way to the sea! I really would like to go somewhere that I can do a little snorkeling. Did I mention that I now have a snorkeling mask (if thats what it's called) with my prescription lenses in. I was so excited to use them last year. We went to Nidri on Lefkada and although there wasn't much of a beach we went out on a day trip on something almost like a Turkish gulet (is that how you spell it?). It took us round lots of little islands with frequent stops for swimming. It took a while to get used to being able to breathe underwater and to hear yourself breathing but I got used to it. It's a different world underwater.

I remember going to Zante with a group of girlies (all in our 40's!) and taking a day trip around the island, again with swim stops. Now I don't know whether you are aware but there is a rather famous photo taken of a cove with white sand and a ship wreck. It looks idyllic. Well we arrived and dropped anchor (hark at her sounding like she sails!) in this lovely cove. I couldn't wait to get into the water and the dare devils we are ( my friend and I get into lots of trouble together) decided to jump of the top deck into the water and do the famous Bridget Bardot in the bond film walk out of the sea up the beach bit. Don't you believe it. Bare footed the pair of us we took our first tentative steps onto the soft white sand out of the clear blue sea. And then we looked at each other. The lovely soft white sand was very very sharp white stone. Not only could we not walk but the incline onto the beach meant that we had to crawl our way out. Knees and shins were grazed and bleeding. We looked like two elephant seals!!!! Of course this was much to the amusement of our fellow crewmates. In the end it was easier going back out to sea! And as for our crewmates? They ate their sandwiches and threw crusts at us and the fish shoaled around us!!! I did get a round of applause when a stray crisp packet blew off the boat into the sea and I swam and retrieved it. I also collected two fag packets and a plastic bottle. Some people have no respect for nature have they?

Ok that''s your lot for today - on nights tonight. I may get time to update the blog. I think I'm going quite well so far this year. Long may it continue.

Kalispera!

3 Comments:

At 7:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Happy Burpday Jooles! I've loved reading your blog over the last year - a great mix of real life gardening stories and cracking asides, my kind of blog :)

Now... If only we could get you to write more often... ;-)

Head Burro - www.wildburro.co.uk
**************************************

 
At 4:02 pm, Blogger Jooles said...

Aw shucks..... blushes in corner! Well I will try to update blog more often. Honest!

 
At 9:57 pm, Anonymous kavak yelleri 125. bölüm izle said...

thank you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home