Tuesday, November 14, 2006

And sloe it goes on.....

I picked 4lb of sloes (never done it before and had to take a sloe with me so I knew what I was picking - could be deadly night shade (althought it was daylight) for all I knew). Well I was told not to wash them and place in a jar (pickled onion jar as we got rid of the demi-johns after the disaster with the plum wine). I then weighed and added sugar. At this point I knew I would have to go back to the drawing board. Too much stuff - and not enough room in the jar for the bloody gin. Right - pour everything out and start again. I had a brain wave. I would sift the sloes from the sugar. The holes in the seive weren't big enough to let the sugar through. By this time I was thinking about ditching the whole idea for a bottle of gordons but I soldiered on. So, sloes in the jar, half the quantity, then the sugar. Tip it all out again. Remember to put half the amount of sugar in with the sloes this time. Right. Sloes in the jar, half the amount of sugar, add the gin. I did the same with 6 jars - go out and buy more gin. The shopkeeper gave me a second glance and lifted his nose as to smell my breath. I pick up some chewing gum and pay for my goods. Back home. Add the gin to the jars. There appears only to be 4 lids? I go through the cupboard methodically trying lids till I get two that fit. I stand proud of my achievement. I pick up the instructions and read what I have to do. I realise every last bloody sloe should have been pricked. Bollocks! They will remain in the gin because I can't be arsed to go through all that again.

Damson vodka. Follow the same instructions but this time run out of jars, lids, vodka and forget to prick the buggering things. Continue tomorrow after contacting friends for missing equipment and pledge some of my makings in exchange. Should have said I was preserving lemons - they wouldn't have wanted any then would they mmmm?

The sloe gin is the most gorgeous shade of red. The damson vodka is sort of pinkish-red. Both should be ready for christmas. Apparently you chuck the sloes when you strain it but you keep the damson flesh and mix in with some melted chocolate and cream to make very very very boozy truffles. Hic! Bring it on Santa Claus!

4 Comments:

At 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you prick a sloe? And why?

 
At 3:48 pm, Blogger Greenmantle said...

Yes, you do need to prick the Sloes a few times each, in order to allow the juice to adequately escape into the gin. A darning needle shoved eye-first into a cork is a handy tool....but...an easier way is to lay all the sloes out in a single layer on a baking sheet, and leave them in the freezer overnight. The water content expands on freezing, and ta-da!...the skins split. Chuck them in the gin before they thaw and all need for pricking is avoided!

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger Jooles said...

Well - what can I say? You tell me now?!!!! So far so good - although one or two have tried it and it is potent stuff! Jury still out on the damson vodka! Even without the pricking it seems to be working but learning has taken place and next year I shall be freezing them! Thank you x

 
At 9:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugger me! Now that's what I call thinking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home